Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Aah! The language...

I know I said this last week too but it has been such a quick week! I feel like I just sat down to email yesterday. I guess that's a good thing, right?

This week has been good. We taught a lot more lessons. This week, for the first time, we actually taught people who weren't our teachers. They just volunteered to be taught at the CCM. It was a good experience and very challenging. One used a lot of vocab that we didn't really know but we just asked her to use other words if we couldn't understand. We ended up having a really nice conversation about prayer, why we pray, and how we can know when God answers our prayers. We said a prayer together and it was a really good experience. 

My companion and I had a moment walking back home this week where we just started talking about how ridiculous we must have seemed teaching our first lesson almost three weeks ago. We were laughing so hard. The other sisters in our district told us that in their first lesson, during the prayer they meant to say "Te damos gracias por Juan" which means "We thank thee for Juan" but instead they said "Te pedimos por Juan" which means "We ask thee for Juan". It's a miracle he didn't just burst out laughing at us in those first couple of lessons. Looking back, I also think that, while trying to tell one of my teachers that my family is from the Cayman Islands, I might have told him that my family is from the Island of Crocodiles. 

Another funny thing that I forgot to tell you earlier was that on the first day, when I met my morning teacher, we were telling him where we were from and I said Philadelphia. He said he didn't know where that was and asked what state it was so I said Pennsylvania. He got this surprised look on his face and started saying a word I didn't understand. I just said yes because I had no idea what he was trying to say. He got an even more surprised look on his face and started flapping his wings like he was flying and kept repeating the same word. FINALLY I figured out that he was saying VAMPIRE, he was trying to ask me if there were vampires where I lived and I accidentally told him yes. I quickly clarified and tried to explain that that's TRANSylvania. 

Another funny thing happened with my new night teacher when I was trying to explain where I was from. I said Philadelphia and he started thinking really hard and said "I don't know that........Will Smith?" And I said "Yes!!!! Will Smith!" It was pretty funny. 

I spoke in Sacrament Meeting on Sunday! So, how it works is every Sunday you have to prepare a talk on the topic assigned and then DURING Sacrament Meeting they announce who the speakers are going to be. I spoke on the Holy Spirit. It went well! I'm still having trouble totally expressing all my thoughts in Spanish but it's getting better. Much, much better. 

We had a devotional last night totally in Spanish. I understood most of it but, because I was focusing so hard on understanding, I don't think I got too much out of it spiritually. One thing I did get was that he said "el precio para tener exito es trabajar" which means "the price to have success is work". 

I forgot to tell you last week that my companion and I were called as the Sister Training Leaders in our branch! Basically our job is to attend all the leadership meetings and give our input and also to help the new girls that come in understand and feel comfortable. We're really excited. We haven't gotten any new girls but we're hoping to get some today because we have some really good plans we can't wait to implement! 

So there's actually a girl in my branch who is BEST FRIENDS with my mission president's daughter! We've talked to her a lot about what they're like and she has nothing but good things to say. She said sometimes she would go over to their house just to hang out with her parents. I'm really excited. 

I'm so grateful for those who sent me a dear elder letter this week. I LOVED reading them. I'll be sending back letters. (On a side note, QUINN I need your home address, I'm too worried that if I send it to school it won't get there in time.)  I'm also so grateful for all the prayers that are said on my behalf. I feel so strengthened and fortified by them. 

I love you all so much! 

Hermana Meise
My ministerial certificate:
 My bed.
  I'm not messy; those clothes on the top bunk are just drying.




 Trail mix...yay! 

 Perfect example...we don't really speak Spanish 
and they don't really speak English

Beautiful!



 Note from mom:  In our "chat" back and forth, Hayley said she had the SWEETEST mangoes this week, sweeter than any she has ever tasted in her entire life.  She does love mangoes!  She also mentioned to me last week how much she was craving the trail mix we always eat at home.  This one (above) is almost the exact same one except we use regular chocolate chips.  She says she's "feeling good"... "learning and growing a lot" and "really feeling the spirit more than ever before in my life".  I can also tell that she is feeling a little homesick so please keep her in your prayers!

4 comments:

  1. I cannot stop laughing at all the translation humor! Transylvania... he's probably thinking, "That's the prettiest vampire I've ever seen!" I jest. The cafeteria sign is funny, too. And Will Smith being the first thing associated with Philadelphia. FUNny. I love the pictures... and also laughed at the "I'm not messy..." LOVE her and LOVE imagining her laughing with her companion about their first lessons. One of my favorite things about Hayley - how she laughs it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great. She sounds like she is having so much fun. I'm so impressed with how well she is doing on the language already! We miss our aunty Hayley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sister Meise! I'm Sister Torres ( Andreas Mom) I'm so happy to know that Hayley is serving a Mission. Where she's serving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sis. Torres! She is going to be serving in Oregon, Salem Spanish Speaking starting April 1st. When does Andrea come home? I saw it was her birthday the other day but I figured she can't look at facebook so I didn't wish her a happy one. Miss your family!

      Delete