Monday, January 12, 2015

The journey to become a "trustworthy disciple"


Hi everyone!

It's been a great week! This week we had MLC (Mission Leadership Council). As always, it was an incredibly spiritual experience and I felt very nourished. My favorite message of the day came from Sister Samuelian. She talked about how we can become "trustworthy disciples of Christ". She talked about how Heavenly Father gives us many opportunities to be trusted and how wisely using those opportunities to be trusted is also how we develop trust in Him. She shared a quote from Henry B. Eyring that says: 

"You show your trust in Him when you listen with the intent to learn and repent and then go and do whatever He asks. If you trust God enough to listen for His message...you will find it. And then if you go and do what He would have you do, your power to trust Him will grow and, in time, you will be overwhelmed with gratitude to find that He has come to trust you." 

I love that quote so much. I have definitely felt that on my mission. It is an incredible and humbling feeling to be trusted by the Lord, especially in taking care of His children. It made me really reflect on how much I trust Him and how I could develop that trust even further. I mean, really, when you think about it, it is absolutely silly not to trust in a perfect, all-knowing being who does everything He does out of love and a desire for our well-being. That's something I really want to develop, seeking out and following His will so I can grow in my trust for Him. 

We were able to go to a baptism yesterday of a woman in Woodburn that Hermana Cardon had taught when she was there. I had met her a few times previously and have always been so touched by the overwhelming love that she has for everyone. It was an incredible baptism of her and her son. There were almost 100 people there with a good amount of them being her own family.



Last night, we had probably the most intense lesson of my whole mission. Her name is Myra and she was a referral of someone that the English sisters met on the street. We've been trying to contact her and have a lesson for a while but she was always too busy to talk to us. We would set up an appointment and then she wouldn't be there. Last night was the first time that we actually were able to sit down and have a real lesson with her. She opened the door and immediately asked us if we wanted to come in. We said yes and followed her into her home. She turned off her TV (never, ever happens), sat down in front of us, and said "Okay teach me." We tried to ask her a few questions about how her family was doing and how work was going but she just said, "It doesn't matter, teach me your message."  We were all super thrown off because usually it does not go anything like that. We taught her the message of the Restoration, how the church that Jesus Christ established has been restored on the earth today through a prophet. She totally was on board with all of it, and would stop us every couple of minutes to tell us how much she respected us and was grateful to God for the work we were doing. When she found out we were very far from our families, she told us that our home was hers whenever we needed it, even when she wasn't home. She also called us each "mija" the whole time, a Spanish abbreviation of "mi hija" which means "my daughter". There are few things that melt my heart more than when an investigator or member calls me "mija". The Spirit was so strong throughout the lesson and she was crazy focused on everything we were saying. At the end, she even asked when we would be able to come back. She's so awesome and so, so hungry to learn. 

I love you all and hope everything is going well!

Love,

Hayley


No comments:

Post a Comment